UPDATE | 17 APRIL 2020
RED7MARINE HAS COMPLETED THE INSTALLATION OF ITS FINAL PILE AT THE POLICE PONTOON IN WAPPING AHEAD OF SCHEDULE.
Work will continue for the next 3 weeks to complete the rest of the project but there is no more intrusive piling work required. We would like to thank the residents of Wapping and Southwark for their patience during these works especially at this difficult time.
15 APRIL 2020
Piling work will take place on Thursday 16th April from 3.30pm till 5.30pm and Friday 17th April from 10am until noon at Wapping Police Pontoon. Red7Marine sincerely apologises in advance for the inconvenience caused by the work and we are endeavouring to make the impact on the community as minimal as possible.
The river police have been keeping London safe for over 200 years and this will allow its good work to continue for many more years to come.
9 APRIL 2020
Red7Marine is currently undertaking essential repairs to the Wapping Police Pontoon. This work involves installing two new piles to the support structures at either end of pontoon. Silent piling techniques do not work in this situation therefore conventional piling is the only available option.
To reduce the noise, the piles will be driven using a vibration piling hammer as often as possible – but the operation will still require the use of an impact hammer which generates a high level of noise.
We have implemented further noise mitigation measures to reduce the impact from the piling work. These are:
- The impact hammer use will be limited to only 2hrs per day. The planned dates for this are:
- 8th April 16:00 until 18:00
- 9th April 10:00 until 12:00
- 16th April – 2hrs tbc
- 17th April – 2hrs tbc
- Noise reduction barriers have been employed on the jack up barge
- The impact hammer will be not be used before 10:00hrs
- A soft start procedure is employed to increase the power of the hammer over 20mins
- Radios to be used to reduce the need for raised voices on site
- Any engines to be turned off when not in use
- No dropping from height
- Prior to work commencing a team briefing regarding the importance of keeping to an absolute minimum the noise levels during the works
- Site working hours are limited to 08:00 – 18:00 Monday to Friday / 08:00 – 13:00 Saturdays / No noisy works on Sunday
- Local residents have been forewarned of the proposed works including details of to whom they need to contact should they be disturbed
The work has been consented by Tower Hamlets under the Application 304204: Dispensation for Works of a Limited Duration – River Thames Wapping Police Pontoon.
We appreciate and understand the Government has instructed people to work from home and Red7Marine is committed to keeping the noise to a bare minimum and finishing the essential structural repairs as quickly as possible. We thank you for your patience.